Tuesday, March 21, 2006

When my tongue slips...

I said some things the other day that I wish I hadn't. Oh, they weren't bad things, just silly and stupid things. Just as soon as they left my mouth, I wished they hadn't.

Oh man, I can relate to Peter! I've often noted in the margins of my Bible, "Then Peter, not knowing what to say, said..."

And then there was that time when he proclaimed "You are the Christ! The Son of the Living God!" and then turned right around and scolded Jesus for saying that He was going to die...

Why do we do these things...?

****************************************************

I’m striving today
to get “me” out of the way.
To put in its place
God’s Will and His Grace.

When my tongue slips, and flippant remarks come slithering out, know that I’m fighting a battle to submit those words to God. Know that it isn’t easy to control the “tongue” as James 3:8 says, “But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison”.

In fact, the whole third chapter of James speaks to me. It begins by saying, 3:1 “Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we will incur a stricter judgment.”

If I take (and I have) the role of “teacher” then I am under greater scrutiny than if I did not speak. But I cannot not speak. God has called me to this place. And so when my tongue slips, and flippant remarks come slithering out, know that I’m fighting a battle to submit those words to God.

Betty

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home