Sunday, December 13, 2009

Third Sunday in Advent - Joy

Father, as I pause in my prayers and think of the third Advent candle - joy - I let my mind wander over the many thoughts surrounding “joy” and am surprised to find the phrase, “there is no joy in Mudville tonight, the mighty Casey has struck out…” comes to mind.

And I have to ask Lord, is that a sign of our culture - that our “joy” is dependant on our team winning; on a player getting a hit, or a homerun; or a touchdown, or a free-throw, or any other corresponding phrase for victory? Is it dependant on the marketplace or the world stage? Is our “joy” based on our being “successful…”? Is it that fragile?

I think of Biblical uses of the word, “joy” and find my heart embracing, “weeping endures for a night, but joy comes in the morning” and “there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.”

And I remember that Elizabeth’s son John, “leaped for joy” in her womb upon hearing Mary’s voice. And that Mary’s spirit “rejoiced in God” at Your choosing her as Your Son’s mother…”

And then there is that ultimate, “Behold I bring you good news of a great joy, which shall be for all people, for unto you is born this day, in the city of David, a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord!” and I stop there, and I realize, “this” is the “joy” that the third candle represents. That if not for this one single “joy” no other joy would be possible.

Christ brings the “joy in the morning.” He is the “Good Shepherd” who goes after the one lost little lamb. He is (not to be cliché, but) “the reason for the season”; He is the joy of my life and the salvation of my soul, and You, my Father, made it all possible…

You, are concerned about my joy.

You, want me to be happy.

When I think about all the things that bring me joy - my husband, my children, my family, and yes, even success in the “marketplace” I humbly realize that all of this would be just fleeting fancy without the real joy of knowing Your Son. And I pray Lord; lead me to lead others in knowing this permanent, concrete, solid, never failing, and always eternal Saviour - Jesus - our true Joy!

And it is in His name I pray - Amen

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home