Monday, December 11, 2006

Christmas Prayers 2006 (Second Sunday in Advent)

Second Sunday in Advent: Peace

Father, as our second Sunday in Advent brings the message of peace, I have to wonder - what is peace, really? It’s so much more than the absence of war. It’s more than a shaky truce or a temporary lull. It’s more than a momentary laying down of arms or a brief respite from conflict.

No, true peace wells up within us within times of war, within the ravages of the fiercest actions, and during the times when the whole force of hell assaults our souls. “The Peace of God,” said the apostle Paul “surpasses all understanding.” And Christ, Himself, said, “My peace I give you - not the kind the world gives. So don’t be afraid.”

True peace, Father, comes from You. It’s nothing we can conjure up, nothing we can “talk ourselves into” nothing we can “will” to be - it comes, (yes) comes from Thee.

So, how can we explain the conflict of the shaking hands and the calm heart? How can we understand the fear that ravages our minds while a peace pervades our soul? It doesn’t make sense Lord, but I’ve been there.

I’ve felt my heart cry “Peace! Peace! The Peace of the Most High Sovereign God surrounds you and controls your being!” and all the while my mind is trying to grasp the reality of the moment - the pain that comes with uncertainty and fear, when my stomach turns and my limbs weaken…

And finally, I fall to my knees, grasping the promise that You made to never leave nor forsake me - and peace comes upon me, and I feel Your love.

It doesn’t always “change the moment”; there may still be “bullets” flying all around, whether actual, or figurative (sometimes the “figurative” ones hurt the worst!) But it changes me! And that is, what Peace is.

***************************************************


Grant Your Peace Lord, I pray, upon those in the midst of conflict this Advent season; and indeed, in all seasons. But, there’s just something about the “Christmas” season that makes conflict more - conflicting during this time of the year.

I pray for those in genuine conflict - in battles, and in wars, with actual bullets and all too real blood-letting. I pray “Peace” Lord, knowing, that until You come again - there will be no real peace for this kind of war. So, until then, I pray “safety” instead…

I pray for those in figurative conflict - in battles for their minds and souls. I pray for those who know that “something” ought to be different. But what? And how? I pray “Peace” Lord, knowing, that “this” battle can be won, that guilt and “chains” can be removed. That all that is needed is for the word to be spread. Give me the words, Lord…

I pray for those in spiritual conflict - in battles where the war has already been won, and the prisoners set free, and all that is wanting is for the victory to be claimed…. I pray “Peace” Lord, knowing that they (we) just (sometimes) don’t realize it. Give them (us) Grace, Lord to see the Victory.

I pray “Peace” Lord at this Advent season - and all seasons of the year.

*********************************************************

Father, I have such a sense of peace at this moment in my life. I am so thankful Lord for the gracious and precious gifts You’ve given me. Father, to see my children loving You and wanting to serve You is the most wonderful gift of all.

It is just a beginning, Lord. I understand that. They are young adults and don’t quite grasp the concept of “Lordship” yet, but God, what an answer to prayer and the “desires of my heart” to witness this - these first steps to be taken. I am so humbled, Lord.

Naturally, I don’t want to die Lord, but if my life was called away at this moment I would have to say that I have been given a lifetime’s worth of blessings already. I have a husband, that in his service to You, honors me, and children that love You. What more is there? There is no physical thing I want, no material thing that can compare to the overwhelming fullness I feel at this time.

Now, I’m not naïve enough to think that we have “arrived” - that from here on out everything will be “hunky-dory.” We live in a fallen world, I know that. Satan is still afforded the freedom of playing havoc on this world and all its inhabitants. But God! I know! YOU are GOD! And no matter what, YOU are in control. He can torment the body, but he cannot take the soul.

The victory’s been won, and my Jesus is Real!

Thank You, Precious Father. In Jesus’ Name - Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home