Monday, December 24, 2007

Upon disagreeing with another

My Father and my God, as I bow at the throne of grace, I pray for one with whom I stringently disagree; for one who also calls You, "Father." God! We can’t both be right for we are diametrically opposed.

God, I pray, please don’t let me misunderstand your Word - please don’t let me mis-believe. This is not a matter of "un" belief - but of "mis" belief. One of us is wrong… If it is me - please open my eyes!

God, this man has more credentials after his name than I can ever hope to achieve. I am an uneducated woman, with my only education coming from being on my knees with Your Book in front of me…

My Father, I cannot understand the mystery of how Your Son can be fully God and fully man, but I believe that He was. I believe He made no errors. I believe He was infallible. I believe, Lord, that He had NO sin until He took mine upon Himself. I believe He is the ONLY way to salvation…

If this man is right, and I am wrong, then I’m still ok. For he says that You are too loving to condemn someone simply because they believe differently than Your Word states.

But If I am right… and Your Word is true (in entirety) then how many, oh Lord are being misdirected because of his words…?

God, my heart aches and my stomach churns as I wrestle with this. How can I have words to answer what I know to be true in my heart? I do not know how to answer! I have not been taught how to respond! God… how do I give an accounting for what I believe?

I (in my simplicity) go to Your Word - but that’s the problem. He does not believe in the accuracy of Scripture.

And so, I state again Lord. Please! Don’t let me misunderstand… don’t let me mis-believe… I have no where else to turn; no one else to whom I can turn. As Peter said to Christ, "to Whom shall I go? You alone have the gift of Life…"

And as the old song states, "My hope is built on nothing less, than Jesus’ blood and righteousness. I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly cling to Jesus’ Name. On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand… All other ground is sinking sand…"

In His precious Name I plead, and pray - Amen.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim Swindle said...

Thank you for this post. You are certainly right that the scripture must be our authority. If your educated friend intentionally rejects what the Bible says, there's a good chance that he's not a true Christian. If he accepts what it says, but interprets it differently than you do, one of you is wrong, but you may both be blessed, true believers. Lord, give us discernment. We think we know so much, but are so easily decieved. Thank you for your Holy Spirit to guide us. Thank you for truth, and thank you that YOU are the truth.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Betty Newman said...

Thank you, sir. You don't know how many hours I have spent (both physically and mentally) on my knees begging God to open my eyes if I am in the wrong.

I have cried out for my own sin to be shown to me, so that I can confess it - agree with Him that it is sin - and to lay it on the altar of Grace.

Words like yours are such encouragement.

Betty

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home