Friday, October 19, 2007

My Mother's Legacy

(Or at least one of them…)

My Mother loved hymns. Although she (like I) couldn’t “carry a tune in a bucket”, still she loved to sing hymns.

I remember singing songs with responses (where you sing one line and another repeats it or sings a reply) while we were making beds. One we sang often was “No Setting Sun.”

“Life’s evening sun (life’s evening sun)
is sinking low (is sinking low)
a few more days (a few more days)
and I shall go (and I shall go.)
To meet the deeds (to meet the deeds)
that I have done (that I have done)
where there will be (where there will be)
no setting sun (no setting sun…")

When planning a service of some type I’ll give Joe (my husband and our song leader) or our pastor the hymn list that I want to use and many times they (who both sing so well) will say, “I don’t know this one…” And I’m confused. How can someone who can’t sing a lick, know so many songs that seasoned singers don’t? And I’ve realized - it is my Mother.

When I look in the mirror I see that I am becoming my Mother (except for the long hair and hat, of course!)

Oh God! If only I could become my Mother in her heart and faith! I keep finding that I owe her so much more than I ever knew. God help me to impart this to others. In Jesus’ Name - Amen.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure the memories you have of your mother are wonderful. I remember when my father died, it was painful to think about the past. Now it is becoming a joy.
I was reflecting on a particular moment with my dad just a few days ago.
It's nice to see others reflect on their loved ones as well.

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home