Saturday, March 15, 2008

Palm Sunday Devotion

This short devotion is the "Prayer Preface" that I used on Palm Sunday for our "Pastoral Prayer" time.

Psa 118:24-26 (NASB) This is the day which the LORD has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
O LORD, do save, we beseech You; O LORD, we beseech You, do send prosperity!
Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the LORD; We have blessed you from the house of the LORD.



Psalms 118 is the last of 3 Psalms, or songs, that the Israelites would sing every year during the Passover. The phrase in verse 25, “O LORD, do save” is the Hebrew phrase “hoshia-na” or as we would pronounce it, “hosanna”.

So on that day (on this day) nearly 2000 years ago, when the crowds and children shouted, “Hosanna to the Son of David; BLESSED IS HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD; Hosanna in the highest!” Everyone within earshot would have recognized the words to this Psalm.

“O LORD do save; do save Thou Son of David. BLESSED IS HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD!”

As we go into our time of prayer, may the words on our lips and in our hearts be, “Hosanna! Do save O Lord; save, restore, and revive our nation, our churches, our community, and our homes.

BLESSED IS HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous AaronR said...

Hi, I know you posted this two years ago, but I just read it as I searched for thoughts on how I should begin our worship service tomorrow (I'm a worship leader at a small church in Indiana). I just wanted you to know that I appreciate this simple, yet powerful meditation. I hope you don't mind if I use it tomorrow to point people to Jesus...Grace and peace to you.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Betty Newman said...

Thank you Aaron. Please feel free to use it. You might also want to check out the most recent post, which is also on Palm Sunday.

Thanks again
betty

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Pastor Bob Leonard said...

What a beautiful way to share the message of our Lord. I will use it in the Pastoral prayer time. Thank you.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home