Monday, September 15, 2008

What's One Prayer

Many people believe that we are in the “last days.” I know just enough about prophecy to be dangerous. And like the old saying goes, “I don’t understand all I know about it!”

In the summer of 2005, Mahmond Ahmadinejad was elected as the new president of Iran. He made the statement that he believed the end of the world was 2 or 3 years away… (2005+3=_____)

I have read, heard and watched (in the past week) three completely different programs, conversations, and statements that have said virtually the same thing.

Then, when I read it again, the fourth time, I lowered the book (which was published in 2006) and began to pray, “Oh Lord, I pray for mercy and the forgiveness of Your people…”

But even as I said that, my mind replied, “What good is one prayer?”

We all know the scripture - 2 Chronicles 7:14 “If… My people, who are called by My Name humble themselves and pray, and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land…”

We know it so well that it has almost become cliché.

And I cried, “But it says ‘people’ Lord! ‘People!’ People are more than ‘person’! What good is MY prayer? How in the world can my prayer make a difference?”

And my mind went to Moses’ plea, and Paul’s plea. It went to Daniel’s confession and Nehemiah’s confession, and finally to Isaiah’s confession when he said, “I am a man of unclean lips and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips…”

All through Israel’s history we see God’s hand of wrath stayed or held back when repentance took place.

I fully believe that God is offering us, in America, an opportunity to repent; an opportunity to postpone the Day of Vengeance.

I believe He is calling us to “stand in the gap”. It is time to take off our camouflage and let the world know who we are and what we believe. It’s time to stop being politically correct, and start being faithfully strong - regardless of the cost.

I believe He is saying (to us, in our day, in this very year), “Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?”

Will you reply, “Here am I, send me…”

If my “one prayer” of repentance, is added to your “one prayer” of repentance; and your “one prayer” of repentance is added to the prayer of everyone who reads this, and their prayers of repentance - then we’ve gone a long way toward turning that “person” into “people.”

This is my prayer…

Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord God Almighty. The whole earth is full of Your glory!

Oh Father, I am a sinful woman, and I live among a people who are sinful. But You have cleansed that sin, not with a burning coal, but with the blood of Your very own Son.

That Blood was poured out for the sin of the world, but it has been spurned, ridiculed, and rejected by so many, and there will be the Day of Vengeance.

God, we are torn - do we pray for a delay of the wrath, or for the coming of the Bridegroom? We so long to see His Face and triumph of Glory…

But, there are so many lost and hurting, and so we pray, in humility, hear us Father, forgive our sin, and heal our land.

May we seize this opportunity You are holding out to postpone the judgment a season longer, if that be Your Holy Will.

In Jesus’ Name - Amen.

One prayer + one prayer + one prayer + one prayer…

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home