Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I Love to hear good preaching!

A "Serm-o-holic"

I think I’m a "serm-o-holic"! I love to listen to sermons! Hearing the teaching and exhorting of God’s Word is so exciting and uplifting to me. Besides attending our local churches, I’m always listening to radio and tv teaching, as well. (Some of my favorites are Chip Ingram, David Jeremiah, Chuck Swindoll, and John MacArthur, to name a few of the many.)

On "Resurrection Sunday" I heard (I guess) 3 or 4 sermons. I heard some things that were very familiar to me and some things that were new to me. And then, I heard some very well known things in a brand new way - a brand new way that was both comforting as well as gently rebuking… God is SO good! His rod (of discipline) AND His staff (of reassurance) they comfort me!

In this particular sermon, the pastor started out by telling about an incident wherein a boat filled with fishermen was in the midst of a storm. The boat was filling with water and (seemingly) in danger of sinking. And the “Master” of the vessel was asleep “on a cushion.” When they called to Him, He simply looked out at the sea and said “Peace! Be still…” and they ask, “Who IS this Man?”

From there the pastor went to the tomb, and the question “Mary, why are you crying…” because Mary, you see, was in the midst of a raging storm… and she couldn’t see her way through it…

That got me to thinking about something I’ve said many times lately - most recently in an e-mail to my Prayerlogue list requesting prayer for a couple of people. In that e-mail I stated, “As I've often said, we know where we are in the "here"; and we know what shall be in the "hereafter" - it's the getting from here to there that worries us.”

It was in that, that I was gently rebuked. It is in the midst of a storm that our Saviour comes, either walking on the waters (walking ON the troubles) or He has been with us all along and when we call upon Him, He simply says, “Hush - be still!” to the storm (and our hearts.)

Jesus is with us in the “here.” Jesus is with us in the “there.” And He is with us every step of the way. We have no need to fear…

After a recent phone call which upset me, my first reaction was, “I must pray!” And that reminded me of an old song that I hadn’t thought of in years - “I Must Tell Jesus.”

Print this out and hang it on your refrigerator door or inside your bathroom medicine cabinet. You need to see this every day!

I must tell Jesus all of my trials;
I cannot bear these burdens alone;
In my distress He kindly will help me;
He ever loves and cares for His own.

Refrain
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
I cannot bear my burdens alone;
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
Jesus can help me, Jesus alone.

I must tell Jesus all of my troubles;
He is a kind, compassionate friend;
If I but ask Him, He will deliver,
Make of my troubles quickly an end.

Refrain

Tempted and tried, I need a great Savior;
One Who can help my burdens to bear;
I must tell Jesus, I must tell Jesus;
He all my cares and sorrows will share.

Refrain

O how the world to evil allures me!
O how my heart is tempted to sin!
I must tell Jesus, and He will help me
Over the world the victory to win.

Refrain

******************************************
May God comfort you, still your storms, and dry your eyes today! In Jesus' Name - Amen!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Craig L. Adams said...

Thanks for quoting that old Gospel Song "I Must Tell Jesus." I haven't sung or even thought about that song in years. Now I'm singing it to myself again.

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home