Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Has our Liturgy replaced the Law?

While doing some reading about John the Baptist this morning, I came across a quote that said, “For a chosen people who hadn’t heard a word from God in four centuries, life was pretty good west of the Jordan. They had covered their insecurities with a blanket of sameness. The absence of a fresh encounter with God had them clutching to what they had left: the Law”

And then it went on to say, “The Hebrew people climbed to the summit of legalism during the silent years that fell between Malachi and Matthew. That’s what really religious people do who don’t have much of a relationship…”

And for some reason, that really jumped out at me and I thought, “Has our Liturgy replaced the Law? Has our ritual replaced our relationship?”

Now, don’t get me wrong… I love the Liturgy. I love the “seriousness” of the Prelude and the Call to Worship and the Opening Prayers and the Prayers of the People…

I love the Apostle’s Creed and the Gloria Patri. I even love the Offering and the Doxology, but I have to wonder… is how we do it, more important than why we do it.

Has following our “Church Calendar” become a substitute for listening for God’s Voice?

And again I feel that I must ask, “Has our Liturgy replaced the Law? Has our ritual replaced our relationship?”

And, the following just flowed from my heart to the paper. Please hear it for what it is – a plea from the depths of my heart, and not a criticism…


Has Our Liturgy Replaced the Law

Do we hold to our liturgy
Like “The Jews” held to the Law?
Has our “must be followed”
Over shadowed our praise and our awe?
Does the “date on the calendar”
Decide the message we hear,
Instead of God’s Voice
Directing our year?
God, remove our blinders
That we may see
Where we could go
If we were free
To hear You…

Many times “the means to the end” loses its focus of “the end”
And stagnates on “the means…”
God forgive us if we’ve done that!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Vinson said...

Very insightful and thought-provoking.

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home