Thursday, September 22, 2005

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing

Sometimes I think of the great hymns of faith. We sing them weekly (or is that weakly :-) in our Church services. Do we ever really think about the words we sing? Take for instance the hymn “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.” Let us look at the words as they speak to us…

Come!
Oh, Thou overflowing Fountain of every conceivable blessing
Put my heart in tune to sing Your grace;

Your streams of mercy Lord, they are never ceasing - they go on and on…
They call for songs of my loudest praise.

Oh Father, teach me some melodious sonnet,
The kind sung by those flaming tongues of the Saints above.

Praise the mount - Mount Moriah - I’ve fixed my eyes upon it,
It is the Mount, the place, of Your redeeming love.

Here I raise my Ebenezer; - my place of memorial
It is here, by Your great help I’ve come; I could never have come alone…
And I hope, and have faith and believe, that by Your good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home in heaven.

Jesus sought me when I was a stranger,
when I did not want to be found, He came searching for me.
I was wandering from the fold, the place of safety of God;

And He, in order to rescue me, yes ME! from danger,
Bought me with the payment of His own precious blood.
(That gives me chills just thinking about it!)

Oh to Your Amazing grace, how great a debtor
Daily - every single day - I’m constrained to be!
Let Your goodness,
like a fetter, a binding, a chain of love,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.

Oh my God, I am so prone to wander, Lord, I feel it; I know it.
I am so prone and apt to leave the God I love.
HERE! Here’s my heart,
Oh God, please take it and seal it,
Seal it for heaven and for Your courts above…

The next time you sing the hymns of the saints - listen to the words…

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home