Saturday, June 23, 2007

Prayer for A Desire to Know God

God, as I sit reading Your Word, I begin to feel a stirring in my soul. And the farther I read the more troubled I become, until I can be still no longer.

Tears come to my eyes as I cry out GOD! - My God, and my Father. Teach me Thy Word! Teach me an understanding of Thy Word!

My soul is burdened Lord. Why is there so little emphasis in our church, put on knowing Thy Word? How else are we to know You?

Why Lord, did I get to more than 50 years old before I learned of “paradisos” - “the king’s private garden” - my King’s private garden… Your “paradise”…

Where is the teaching in our church, Lord? This is but one example of what we’re not being taught.

Oh God, I want to know You. I want to know Your Son, Jesus Christ. I want to know Your Holy Spirit. I want to serve You, my God and my Saviour! How Lord? There is so much I don’t know…

And if I don’t know - with the hours of study I put in, and with the desire I have to know, how much less do those know who have no desire to seek on their own…?

Does the fault lie within our pulpits? Or does the fault lie within the hearts of men (and women.) Which comes first, Lord? Must the pastors create the desire by the ever teaching of the Word? Or must the desire come first to seek out Your precepts?

Paul said, “How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher? How will they preach unless they are sent?”

GOD! Which comes first… which… comes… first?

As I meditate on this I realize… Paul was right. He was writing by Your inspiration and the “breath” of Your Holy Spirit. One cannot call upon You without the stirring of Your Spirit in their soul. But how can they call upon You if they don’t believe that You “are.”

And how can they believe that You “are” without hearing of You? And how can they hear of You without someone telling them? And how can someone tell them unless they are sent, and how can they be sent unless they know and listen to You?

God, I pray for our pastors, and anyone who fills our pulpits or stands behind our lecterns. What an awesome privilege, what an awesome responsibility You have called us to. If we are called by Your name, we are called to share Your message.

God grant us an ever burning desire to know You more clearly, to love You more dearly, and to serve You more nearly - and then Lord, fill us with a burden to share that passion so that all the world may desire to know You as well

In Jesus’ Holy Name - Amen.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger TN Rambler said...

Amen!

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home