Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Virginia Tech Prayer

God! I am so frazzled (again.) I don’t know which end is up. I’ve got more to do on my “to-do” list than I’ll ever get done, and I’m so tired. And I don’t feel good, and, and… and I just heard the news about Virginia Tech…

Oh God, I am so sorry…

How those students and their parents must now long for the “mundane-ness” of a “to-do list…” How they long for their worries to be about class assignments, and term papers and exams. How they long for the comfort of the familiar…

Oh God, I lift them up and pray that they will feel Your arms around them. I pray that they will feel Your peace engulfing their lives when their whole world cries with turmoil and confusion. May they know that You weep with them at the depravity of Your fallen world. Comfort them, my Father, I pray.

And Father, I pray for their parents whose hearts are breaking and whose arms ache with longing to hold their child in their time of suffering. I can’t even imagine what it would be like to be so far away from my child that I couldn’t hold him when he cries. But oh Lord, I pray most for those who’ve lost loved ones in this senseless act of killing. What agony they must be feeling.

I don’t even have words, Lord - there is no understanding, there is no sense… And so all I can do is raise my arms to You and say, “Take it, Lord - take it... Lift them up and carry them through.

Let us hold to the words of our Saviour who said, “Let not your hearts be troubled. You believe in God, believe also in Me…”

I pray for them the love of the Father, and the comfort of the Son in Whose name I pray… Amen.
********************************************

I have a very close friend whose daughter is a student there. Please pray for them...

I am also very angry as I watched the convocation on tv at Time Out Deli today...

The Governor and President Bush both did a great job and called upon God and for prayer, but then there were 4 "representatives of the religious community..." There was a Muslim cleric, a Buddhist, a "something else" and a Lutheran minister...

The Muslim, of course, called upon Allah, the Buddhist called upon the Dali Llama (sp?). I'm not sure what the next gal called upon, as she didn't really say anything, except that we are all "born with a good nature..." (wrong!) And then the Lutheran minister came on (oh how I was longing for the precious name of Jesus to be called) but he, alas, said "nothing" either.

The Muslim read from the Koran, but the minister didn't even read a scripture... he just mumbled a few words of so-called "comfort" and then called for a "moment of silence..."

I left the deli in tears...

My God, my God, it is we who have forsaken You... forgive us, I pray...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice, clear presentation of your view of all that went on.
I'm trying ever so hard to discover how the convocation started the recitation of the Lord's Prayer. Repeated watching the video feed on the Va'Tech website doesn't reveal where the call to prayer came from--except that it wasn't from the main speakers stage. I see your passion about the subject, so I want to ask if you can send me the answer. "donny4444@aol.com" if you would.

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the person who started the Lord's Prayer at the va tech convocation.
I am not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
My exact words were
"Let us all stand and pray in the words that Jesus our Savior taght us.....Our Father, who art in heaven..."
taylor_bernie@yahoo.com

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home