Friday, October 14, 2005

Unleashing The Power - Part Three

Unleashing the Power - Part Three

I long suspected that praying for others was more about me, and my relationship with God than anything else. And I’ve come to believe that the best thing I can do for my Spiritual growth is to tell you that “I’ll pray for you.”

To me it is:
Outward: A reaffirming of my Faith that God is in control and can make a difference.
Inward: It forces me to look beyond myself, beyond mere thoughts. It makes me think about your pain, your sorrow, your troubles and whatever else you’re going through. Let’s face it, we don’t tell people “I’ll pray for you” when things are going well for them. (We should, you know, but we just don’t.)
Upward: It demands that I lift them up to God, that I actually “spend time” with God because of my commitment to “pray for you.”

And there’s still another unleashing of Power as well, and that is to The Trinity Himself. When I tell you, that “I’ll pray for you.” I am saying to the Triune God:
Outward, Inward, and Upward: That I am not ashamed of Jesus Christ, that I trust in His Holy Spirit, and I am saying to God the Father that I glory in His Name.

When we say to someone, “I’ll be praying for you” or “I’ll put you on my prayer list” we’re unleashing a power and we’re preaching a sermon.

When Jesus prayed at the tomb of Lazarus He said, “Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me. And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it that they may believe that thou hast sent me.” (emphasis mine)

Matthew Henry, in his “Commentary on the Whole Bible” translates Jesus’ words this way, “I thank thee that thou hast heard me. And I knew that thou hearest me always” Then Jesus adds, “but because of the people which stand by I said it that they may believe that thou hast sent me for prayer may preach (emphasis mine)

“For Prayer May Preach”

The Power that is unleashed when we tell someone that we’ll pray for them is far more powerful than any particular words we may say. So don’t worry about what you should say, or how you should actually pray for someone. You don’t have to know what God’s will is. Just unleash the Power, that “Prayer May Preach!”

(Prayer)
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, fill our lives Upward, Outward, and Inward that the Power of the Almighty may be unleashed on, in, and through the world!
In Jesus Name and for His Glory
Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home