Wednesday, January 11, 2006

"Lord of all pots and pans and things..."

"Lord of all pots and pans and things…
Make me a saint by getting meals
and washing up the plates."

Thus begins the little booklet, "The Practice of the Presence of God" by (or about) the Seventeenth-century French monk, Brother Lawrence.

I am finding in this little booklet a gold-mine of inspiration! Expect to hear more of this from time to time…

He wrote, “The time of business does not with me differ from the time of prayer, and in the noise and clatter of my kitchen… I possess God in a great tranquility as if I were upon my knees at the Blessed Sacrament.”

And so I pray…

To “Lord of all pots and pans and things…” Father, I add, “Lord of chalk and eraser dust (or is that ‘PowerPoint’ these days?); Lord of hammers and nails; Lord of computers and programs; Lord of journals and ledgers; Lord of cash registers and sales racks; Lord of all jobs and vocations…” make me a Saint by doing what I do daily.

May I truly find that “the time of business does not differ with me from the time of prayer…” May I find Your presence within my daily walk as strong as it is when I am on my knees in my prayer closet. Ingrain Yourself so deeply within my life that prayer to prayer flows seamlessly throughout my day, and throughout my life.

It seems Father, that in Jesus’ life, He didn’t “pray between daily life events” but indeed, “lived His daily life between prayers.” So be it with me.

May I hear You at every turn; see You at every step; and feel You without failing.

In Jesus’ name. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home