Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother's Day Poem

Flour on the Bible


While filling up my flour bowl
a job I sometimes dread,
My older son (who always helps)
turned to me and said,
“Mama, you got flour on your Bible,
seems it’s always in the way.”
I smiled and said, “No son,
I need to read it every day.”

Since the kitchen is my “home court”
where I spend most all my time,
With my Bible and my coffee cup
every morning you will find,
That when I get them off to work and school
and before another deed,
I lean back in my rocking chair
and sip my coffee while I read.

A woman gives and gives and gives,
then has to give some more.
Not only must I meet my needs,
I need a reservoir!
So my Bible’s in the kitchen
giving strength for each new day,
and filling up
an extra cup
if needed on the way.

And if some food gets spilled along
I’ll wipe it with a breeze
So far it’s nothing major,
just watch that syrup, please!


© Betty Newman

Written in 1988 when our boys were 6 and 2 years old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home