Monday, July 18, 2005

Words for my friend

Just a note to tell you that you are in my prayers this morning and always.

I know you are going through a very difficult time right now. I know there are times when you cry, “I just can’t do one - more - thing… I can’t worry about one - more - person, and I can’t carry one - more - burden…”

I know that you have said, “Oh Lord! What else?” And I also know that you’re almost afraid to even say that anymore, for fear that there could be something else - there could be more…

I know because I have been through that myself. Oh, not exactly the same circumstances, for all our lives are different, but enough so that I’ve prayed, “Oh Lord, when’s it ever going to let up?”

I know there is a fear and despair in the pit of your stomach that even though quelled at times, never completely goes away. There are times of respite and times of peace, but still the anguish is there lurking in the background, in the back of your mind. You’re never really at rest.

Know this! As much as it helps to know that someone is praying for you (and I am) it is infinitely more comforting to know that the Holy Spirit intercedes for you to the Father.

Look up Romans 8:15-28. You’ll see that God is our Father! And not only that, but the word Paul uses for “father” is Abba, which is translated as what we would call, “Daddy” - the most intimate and loving form of father. And then in verse 26, Paul tells us that because we don’t really know how to pray as we should, the Spirit “translates” for us to God, and then brings back to us what our “Daddy” wants us to know.

And if that is not comforting enough, know this. You (yes you) are on Jesus’ prayer list!

Read Hebrews 7:25. Jesus sits at God’s right hand “interceding” for you (and me) continually. In other words, Jesus, Himself, is praying for you. He is whispering in God’s ear, telling Him all about you and your needs. And He never takes a break!

I know that when I was going through the deepest valley of my life, the one thing that strengthened me daily was knowing that others were praying for me. I sensed God’s presence and care just through my own prayers, but at that time I didn’t know these two scriptures. I didn’t know that Jesus Christ, my salvation for eternity, was at that very moment, praying for me.

I wanted you to know that He’s praying for you… He’ll see you through this.


Betty J. Newman © July 14, 2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home