Sunday, February 18, 2007

Feeding the Feeder

Feeding the Feeder

Do you know who does the hunting - the male or the female lion? It is the female. But, do you know who eats first? It is also the female - before the male, and even before her babies… You see, she knows that if she isn’t strong, then no one else will be cared for.

Twice in this past week, two women, in two different settings, (I’m not sure if they even know one another) whom I greatly respect and who do an awful lot of “feeding” of others, said to me, “You know, I just need to be fed myself sometimes…

I once wrote a poem that has this line, “…a woman gives and gives and gives; then has to give some more, not only must I meet my needs, I need a reservoir!”

And so, it is with that thought that I pray…

Father, as I bow this morning, at the beginning of another incredibly busy day, I ask for strength, and wisdom, and (dare I say it) patience.

God, we jokingly say, “Don’t ask God for patience, for He’ll surely put you in a situation where you’ll ‘grow’ some!” But, if we don’t ask You for it, where do we think we’ll get it? We’re already in situations where we need it - desperately! And so yes, I even pray for patience.

Father, I lift up women all over the world who wonder how in the world they’re going to feed themselves, let alone anyone else. I pray for women whose need for food is indeed physical food - where there is not enough, either for lack of funds, or lack of goods, help me to direct my funds and goods to them.

Father, I pray for women whose need for food is for emotional food - the broken, the oppressed, and the physically and emotionally abused. But I also pray for those who, while seemingly “well off” feel all alone - who feel like there is no one to whom they can turn. Yes, they could, and should turn to You, but You’ve just recently shown me how important women are to other women. Father, lead them to someone that You would have “touch” them, but to whom You would have them “touch” as well…

And Lord, I pray for women whose need for food is spiritual - those who have friends upon friends; who have food upon food, who have all the “stuff” that life has to offer, but have not You. Open their eyes and thaw their hearts that they may come to understand just how “hungry” they really are.

But Father, I pray mostly that you will “feed the feeder.” I pray for those women who feed others all day long, I pray that they, too, will come to understand just how “hungry” they are as well. Allow them the “quick bites” of spiritual nourishment all through the day, but also, lead them (us) to a time of just sitting back and letting someone feed us!

Lord, even when we understand that we need to be fed, and we spend time with You and with Your word, we can’t “feed ourselves” all the time. The teacher needs to be taught, the mother needs to be mothered, and the leader, sometimes, needs to be led. Help us to recognize that, and help us to allow someone else to feed us.

Fill our cup Lord, so that we can give to others what You’ve led us to give.

In Jesus’ Name - Amen.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger John Wesley said...

Dear and Gentle Reader,

A life and practice of intercession and prayer is so very valuable to the body of Christ!

Since I last had the pleasure of visiting ye, I have had many thoughts upon ye and your work in this, our online community. Keep hold the faith and continue to run the race! We will praise God for what he has done through your ministry and I cherish your willing spirit and compassion.

Who knows but it may please God to make ye an instrument in His glorious work? In effecting an union among the labourers in His vineyard? That He may direct and bless you in all your steps is the prayer of my heart.

Your affectionate and obedient servant,
JW

7:46 PM  
Blogger Betty Newman said...

What a wonderful and encouraging thing to say, my friend. I do so appreciate your kind words and support.

My prayer - "More of Thee, less of me."

Thank you again.
Betty

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home