Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I was so mad...

I can remember it like it was yesterday. I was so mad. It wasn’t like it was anything specific - I was just mad in general. I was mad over everything. I was mad all the time.

“Why do people have to be so stupid?” “Why do people have to be so mean?” “Why does money have to rule their lives?” “Why do “possessions” possess them?” “Why do they drive too fast?” “Why do they drive too slowly?” And “why on earth do they wait until the clerk tells them the price to even begin looking for their checkbook???”

Now, I will admit, it was the late 60s - early 70s, “people” were mad all over. It was a common thing to be mad, and particularly if you were a young adult - which I was.

But, there was this one day - I can remember it like it was yesterday…

On my route home from work, there was a steep hill with a traffic light at the bottom. Vehicles were “supposed” to stop about a car length from the bottom of the hill to allow for traffic to turn up the hill. Most folks didn’t. And that made me mad.

On this one particular day, I was behind a car that had stopped at the very bottom of the hill, making it difficult, if not near impossible for oncoming traffic to make the turn. And I was mad.

Suddenly I “heard” in my spirit, “Why are you so mad? What difference does it really make? Does your being mad change anything at all? Reserve your anger for the time when it will do some good and is justified…”

Then a peace washed over me and I knew - I didn’t have to be mad any more. Now, I still get angry at times, but I’m not an angry person - there is a difference…


Oh Father, why in Your mercy did You speak to me?
Why in Your grace did You allow me to hear?
Father I pray for those in our society who are angry at life in general. I pray Lord, that in Your mercy, You will speak to their hearts. And I plead Father, that in Your grace You will allow them to hear…

In Jesus’ name, Amen.

2 Comments:

Blogger Klem said...

Hello Betty,
Full marks for a very sincere Blog.
I have bookmarked it for future study.
For your attention:-http://newmanvalley.com/ failed to work! It led to- "The page cannot be displayed"

6:35 AM  
Blogger MaoBi said...

Hi

How true. When we had a talk in our small group about the "peace of God which surpasses all understanding" it was kind of agreed that this all went out the window the moment the car sees traffic ahead. Worldwide problem.

Amazingly you found the grace to get out of the anger. Congratulations.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home