Sunday, November 06, 2005

Whether Therefore Ye Eat or Drink...

Sermon series

“Whether, therefore, ye eat or drink…” - Part One of Four

1Corinthians 6:12-13; 1 Corinthians 10:23-24; 31-33

If you’ve heard me speak or teach very often, then you’ve no doubt heard me say things like, “This is one of my favorite books in the Bible” or “This is one of my favorite scriptures”, or “one of my favorite stories…” I’m sure my Sunday School class has wondered what isn’t “one of my favorites…”

And it’s true, I do love these scriptures, but there are 2 books of the Bible that I’ve struggled with - that, for some reason, I just haven’t seemed to be able to get a “handle” on. Those are Isaiah in the Old Testament, and Corinthians in the New Testament; well, actually First and Second Corinthians in the New Testament. I guess that makes 3 books, doesn’t it?

So, with that in mind, and with our Wednesday night studies of the Spiritual Gifts, part of which are found in 1st Corinthians, I decided to make a concerted effort to study 1st Corinthians. So, for the past several weeks, I’ve been reading and studying this book. I’ve been reading the scriptures themselves, commentaries, and references just to find out what Corinthians is all about.

What I’ve found has both excited me and frustrated me. I’ve found some great “nuggets of wisdom” - far too many to cover in one sermon. In fact, there are nuggets for several sermons! But, that too, is what frustrated me. As I began to study this book, I found, what you might call, “the why and wherefore” of some of these great nuggets. And we’re just not taught this very often.

We are sorely lacking in our knowledge of the Scriptures in our churches today. It’s not completely the pastor’s fault. Fifteen, or even a stretch of 20 minutes, once a week on Sunday morning just won’t cut it. We’ve got to do some studying for ourselves. We’ve got to turn off the tv, lay down the novel, or get off the web - whatever it takes and pick up the Bible… Both Isaiah and Hosea taught that the people would perish for lack of knowledge - and we will as well…

But, that’s a whole other sermon. What I want to teach this morning is one of those nuggets, but in order to grasp the nugget, you’ve got to know the background, or context in which Paul taught it.

To be continued tomorrow…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home